Wednesday, January 6, 2010

When My Baby Says “Mash” She Ain’t Talking Potatoes

When my first child was born, I went just a bit nuts in books and videos on how to make your baby smarter, feel more loved, sleep better at night, be an expert nurser, etc, etc. I glad I bought them and while I didn’t read any one of them from cover to cover I did crack them open and glean the information I was looking for. As a result I am now the proud parent of 4 very smart, very expensive kids. See smart kids cost more money where I live because public school can’t handle their advancement, and private school makes you pay. But I’m ok with that.


I’m onto my last kid now, and she doesn’t miss a thing. She sees, hears and wants to touch everything. She’s quite convinced she’s just as big as everyone else. Not in height, she’s aware she still has to look up at everyone, but certainly in ability. She started walking earlier than the others and now she’s started to talk too. Now you have to understand that not only do my kids hear only Spanish from me, and English from their dad, but we also teach them sign language from about nine months old. So there is a TON of communication processing going on in those little brains, yet they manage to do it with such ease and grace. We taught her the most useful signs for her, among them being the sign for “more.” When she finally learned how to do it, I could see she wasn’t really happy to have to use her hands when everyone else would just say something.


Finally, she just had it with the whole dog and pony act of her signing, me saying the word and clapping and her feeling just a bit of condescension in the air. We were eating grapes and I was handing her halves, one by one. She started to sign “more,” I got ready to clap and say “¿mas?” She stopped, looked me square in the eyes and said “¿mash?” And I said “¿Mash? ¡Siiii! ¡MAAAAASH!” And I fell in love with her again for probably the tenth time that day.


What was your baby's first word? What made her/him say it? What was your reaction?

3 comments:

  1. I think my oldest son's first true word was ball.Am I a bad parent if I don't remember the other 3 kid's first words? I do think duck was in there but for which one? I am clueless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah, I only remember my first kid's because it was so sudden , see post here, and my last because it was just yesterday. And if I hadn't written about it, I would have forgotten it by next week. I'm pretty sure with each delivery, a few more holes are poked into our brain functions. It's why we become less and less cool as time goes on and why we forget everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will NEVER turn uncool, I tell you!!! Fridita is a cutey pie!!! And I'm just gonna glean the info from you and skip the books, yes? Whew! Thank God for these blogs! LOL!

    ReplyDelete