Friday, January 8, 2010

My Relationship With Rice

Yesterday I asked our receptionist what she brought in for lunch. "Rice and beans with chicken" she replied. Flashback to my entire childhood. I would ask with such hope, "What's for dinner?", and the answer would generally be either "rice, beans and chicken", or "chicken, beans and rice" or "beans, rice and chicken". Once in a blue it was "spagehtti with red sauce... and rice." And when my Abuela passed and my mother, who was an only child and never had to learn to cook, started making the rice, things just got worse.


We had to struggle through my mother's learning process and so we ate our way through the many ways a Puerto Rican can screw up rice. It was awful and I vowed to never eat rice again once I lived on my own. And I did just that for a while. But somehow the rice in my genes wouldn't let me go that easily. And when I got the craving I would steam the rice. But I missed that ever delicious, always fought over, pegaito that comes from making Puerto Rican rice in a caldero like my Abuela did. But I made due.



My husband complains I don't make enough rice and beans and that I used it as a lure tactic then once I landed him, stopped making it. My kids complain I don't make it nearly enough, but I keep pledging that I make them sparingly because those foods, eaten too often, can lead to health problems like the diabetes my Abuela had. But now I'm getting older, and am starting to think it may not be the foods but the portions. Let's face it, Abuela didn't eat platefulls, she ate heapfulls. I'm thinking, who doesn't like to walk into a house full of the wonderfull aromas a delicious Puerto Rican meal provides? I'm starting to think "Where can I buy a good caldero?"


Have you moved away from the foods of your youth? Is age bringing you back?

Note: I've actually found a place to buy a good caldero. It's my goto Puerto Rican recipe site, and they offer so much more as well - http://elboricua.com/ I highly recommend the site.

5 comments:

  1. It's ALWAYS about the portions! Remember the morbidly obese guy who didn't get why he was fat since all he ate where oranges? Then it turned out her ate 60 a day!!! That's like a whole tree!!

    The house smells scrumptious when you cook your food, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice rocks, plain and simple. Agree that the portion control is the big issue - but you know the saying well, I'm sure - "Come! Come!". We try not to overdo the rice on the menu, but it's hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title of your post! And my mom also made spaghetti with rice! I always thought that was so weird. We ate rice 7 days a week that when I moved out I didn't cook rice that much. I do cook it now but not daily. My mom thinks I'm more American because we eat things like Hamburger Helper and Sloppy Joes for dinner sometimes. But that's what makes us so bicultural! And my son likes beef! I do agree it's all in the portions in order to cook healthy. And Extra Virgin Olive Oil is great to cook and fry in. My hubby's family cooks with lard. EW YUCK!

    Keep up the good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it! My wife feels the same way and had told me a very similar story in her life about rice. I read it out loud to my family and we were all bursting in tears!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sisters and I grew up horrified by the lunches my mom would pack for us to take to school. Arepa con pasas, or arroz y habichuelas were the most common. We wanted so badly to eat pb&j sandwiches and oreos! But now, we all send our own kids to school with lunch of arroz con pollo, o cangre. The kids now are so proud to have different food, and that they have moms and tias who cook for them! They think our food is better than gogurt or lunchables, and tell their classmates the names of the foods in spanish!

    ReplyDelete