Thursday, December 3, 2009

Ol' Yeller? Am I THAT Mom?!

I just discovered that I'm a yeller. Not at home, for the most part. There my tone becomes low and strong when needed. You know, my Mom voice. But it seems that my bilingualism has given me a sense of a cloak of invisibility when it comes to communicating with my children in public spaces. Just today I had to coral my children quickly and get them in the car before the cop I just saw would notice my illegally parked car and issue me a ticket. So at the top of my lungs I yelled their names and then, "¡Vamos! ¡Ahora! ¡Rápido! ¡Papi, anda y dile a tu hermana que venga ya o sino que encuentre donde dormir en el parque!" Don't worry, my kids are used to my sarcasm, but they know to put a spring in their step.


We live in the 'burbs of Jersey. They go to a small private school. The families are all well educated, and quite proper. Political correctness is a code of honor and while the ethnicities are quite varied, the culture seems universally quite WASPy. I, however, wrapped in my invisibility cloak of bilingualism (because if they can't understand you, they can't hear you either apparently), and flaring some of the jibara behaviors I picked up from my Abuela that used to embarrass my mother, I find myself yelling in a most un-WASPy manner. I never noticed it, mostly because I was politely ignored I suppose. It never occurred to me that I was YELLING, and maybe being LOUD. And if it did occur to me, it didn't bother me at all. Until my cloak of invisibility was struck with its antidote: another bilingual Hispanic.


In the middle of my YELLING, I hear "¡Hola! ¿Como estas?" I continued my YELLING, and I still heard "¡Hola! ¿Como estas?" But it was less a question and more a plea for me to stop and notice what I was doing. And when I stopped for a moment to utter "Bien, gracias" as he passed me by I could see in my fellow Latino's face, "Muchacha, no seas tan jibara." And for a moment I thought, oh my, I'm YELLING. But then I snapped back and remembered that sometimes we mother's YEll, sometimes we Hispanics YEll, and the probability that you will YELL goes up when you are a Hispanic mother. So, I'll keep my invisibility cloak and just YELL as required. But I will try to keep it to emergencies like attempting to avoid tickets for an illegal parking spot.


Are you a yeller? Do you find it kind of jibaro? Does it bother your kids?.



Don’t forget to keep tuned into this blog to read about my interviews with celebrities, community leaders and more on the topic of abuse. It will be a series of blogs because there is so much insight and wisdom to share that I have learned.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that I've found you! Your description of yourself and your daughter's speaking sounds so familiar. I am the daughter of a Cuban immigrant and American father. I, too, grew up with my Abuelita living in the house. I was taught Spanish/English. I am really trying to teach my 18 month old son Spanish. I speak to him in Spanish and his father speaks to him in English. He only every really says "mama" and a few unrecognizable words. I know he understands much of what I'm saying...just nothing coming out of his mouth. After visiting a speech therapist today - she tried to suggest that I use one language in the home in order not to confuse my son. I know that this can work - it's just taking a while. Thank you for validating with your story. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left you a lonnnnggg comment that got deleted...GOO-GULLLLLLL! Anyway, I was reminding you how funny it was when me and your kids were watching old home videos. In one you were like 22 or so and they asked me "Why did Mami talk so funny?" LOL! B.c your voice was so high pitched compared to now. I told them it's a scientific fact your voice gets lower per child to the equivalency of roughly one octave per four children. They bought it. And also that all Aunts are incapable of yelling or getting mad. LOL! So far, anyway....

    ReplyDelete