Thursday, January 14, 2010

On Being Tall

Here’s the thing about being tall, at least for me, it’s a bit hard to make friends and it’s only because most people can’t reach me. I mean the average height for a female is 5’6”, a Hispanic female I think averages more like at 5’3”. At least in my family, that’s about average. I’m not average. I’m about 4” above the American average and I’m a full 7” above family average. This wasn’t so much a problem as a kid, because I could often find older kids to befriend, or other freakishly tall girls. But then after puberty had its way with us, those other tall girls leveled out to the norm and I kept… on… going.


In high school, all I ever heard was “Stop slouching!” from my friends. To which I would always respond with “Then how am I going to hear what you’re saying?!” There is the common scene of a group of girls, huddled together, whispering secrets, giggling and bonding over crushes. I was the tall girl next to them, hunched over so that I could hear and participate. The boy situation then was a sad story too. The tall ones were upper class that didn’t date down, and boys on your grade were still waiting for their growth spurt. And when the few did get tall, they were often lanky too. Not that I was a slouch in the boy department. I just made do with the inventory available to me. When I was dating a shorter boy I’d just make sure to be sitting down when kissing, that way I wouldn’t have to crane my neck down. There’s a system to the strangest things when you’re tall, you’d be surprised.


As an adult I would often get comments from other women, presumably envying my height. “You’re so tall! It must be great to have those long legs!” You mean the legs no designer plans for when making pants? I guess lucky is one word for it. I actually had one colleague invite me to the drug store with her for lunch. And while I was new to the company, I thought it was a gesture of friendship and was quite excited. Then in the paper goods aisle, after asking me to reach the umpteenth item, she confessed she asked me to come so that I could reach the high shelf items. At that point, I’d pretty much figured. I laughed about it then, and I laugh about it now because she has now been my best friend for going on fifteen years, even if she is only 5’1”.



Has height been an issue for you? Would you befreind a tall person easily?

6 comments:

  1. I'm 5'2" and my daughter is taller than me at 5'5" - she always does the heavy exhale / eye roll when I ask for something on the top shelf of the cabinet. This explains it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holding back a chuckle.
    I know what you mean...it's only that I was 5'4" in the 4th grade. Sad fact is when many of us girls are pushed to the end of the line, no one told us that the little boy will reach and exceed our height, fast.
    Furthermore, whether by genetics or medical condition, it's even sadder when some of us find out in high school that we haven't grown a milimiter...after the 4th grade. Arggh!
    You're alright. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the shortest in our family!!! Aha! No one believes me when I tell them!!! Even Aviv didn't believe me until he met you face to face!!! I remember hating it at first but then I realized shorter is actually as asset here, so I count my lucky stars now. Now, can you get me that mixing bowl up there? Thankksss. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. I know now how I inspired you. Loved reading your post. I was always one of the shortest ones out of my group of friends so I envy tall chicas like yourself. I don't care what size my friends are; short, tall, skinny, chunky, whatever...latinas are beautiful, no matter what! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm tall too! I'm 5'8" tall. As a Latina it's so hard to be tall! I was looked upon as a freak of nature. Anyway that's how I felt. Men used to tell me "you are SO tall!". And it made me want to crumble up and die. I wasn't feminine enough because of it I felt. Anyhow, years later, I grew to accept my height as part of me. Love it or leave it. And when men have the audacity to comment on my height rudely, I rudely return, "no, it's just that you're short". Giving them a taste of their own medicine. Alli coje! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in a country full of tall women - and I'm only 5'2 - I hated playing basketball... But lot's of my friends are tall, I'm used to being the shorty (they even call me Lil'J)

    ReplyDelete